Information and Best Practices
Shorter videos render faster. I recommend you break up recorded lessons into 3-8 minute segments with a task between them for the students to accomplish.
This helps in 3 ways:
1. Forced to re-record: You make a severe mistake near the end and are forced to re-record. Better to have to re-record 5 minutes than 20 minutes.
2. Students attention span. Studies I have read that short videos engage students more than long ones. Look at youtube.
3. Render time: Shorter video, shorter rendering time.
When the icon representing the video turns into a picture with a play button on, it is ready to go. If it is that red folder, then don’t even try it.
I suggest you allow for at least 24 hours between video recording and the video viewing.
Google Meet Tips and Information
There is a good Google Meet Tutorial on youtube here. It is about 9 min long.
It pointed out a couple of things that I want to share with you.
1. The record option is a Google Meet premium feature that is scheduled to be deactivate on July 1, 2020. I did not know that and had hoped it would be a long term tool you could use.
2. If you have an international student, then turn on the closed captioning option to have what you and others say appear on the screen.